Kurashiki, located in the southwestern part of Okayama Prefecture, is a core city with a population of approximately 480,000 people. As evidenced by its designation as a Japan Heritage site with the story “The Kurashiki Tale of Textiles Weaving Japanese and Western Cultures,” the city has a rich history in the textile industry. Its foundations were laid in the mid-Edo period, and it has played a leading role in Japan’s textile industry since the industrial revolution in the Meiji era. Kurashiki boasts a significant share of the national market for items like school uniforms and canvas, and it’s been at the forefront of Japan’s textile industry.
It was in this creative environment of Kurashiki that Japan’s first domestically produced jeans were born. The Kojima district, the heart of Kurashiki’s textile industry, is now renowned as a denim mecca and is home to popular tourist spots like “Kojima Jeans Street” and the “Jeans Museum.”
To experience this creative atmosphere, a migration experience tour called “Explore ‘Denim x Culture’ in Kurashiki” is being organized. Participants will visit the denim fabric production and processing facilities based in the Kojima district. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to tour the Kurashiki Canvas Manufacturing Plant and the Kurashiki Spinning Memorial Museum, which are essential places to understand Kurashiki’s textile industry.
This tour is a must for those interested in migrating to Kurashiki or for anyone with an interest in the textile industry.[Tour Overview]
- Dates: September 30th (Saturday) to October 2nd (Monday), Reiwa 5 (2 nights, 3 days)
- Meeting Place: JR Kurashiki Station (Participants are responsible for their transportation to Kurashiki Station)
- Participant Requirements:
- Those interested in Kurashiki’s “life” and “migration.”
- Participants residing outside of Okayama Prefecture, among others.
- Capacity: 10 participants (Minimum required participants: 8)
- Tour Fee: 10,000 yen (5,000 yen for elementary school students, free for preschoolers)
- Accommodation: DENIM HOSTEL float
- For more details, please visit the recruitment page: [Recruitment Page URL] https://turns.jp/82245
This service is provided by TabiPocket. We offer information on monitor tours and experience tours for inbound travelers interested in Japan. Distribution through social media is free.
Here’s an introduction to our free monitor tours: Please take a look: ↓ https://tabipocket.com/lp/okuizumo/